- The Lamentation of Virgin
- Item ID : 71
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Limnos and Ag. Eustratios
- Type : part from the church iconostasis
- Year : 17th century
- Place : Limnos
- Dimension : 27,6Χ16,3Χ2,4
- Conditions : good
- Current Place : The Dormition of Virgin Mary church – Tsimantrion
- Description : Virgin Mary is depicted centrally and almost full length against a gold background. The contrast of the color of her red maphorion in contrast with her emotional stage is masterly visualized. She has her hands crossed before her chest and her emotions are held restrained. Her wine-red maphorion is highlighted in alternating nuances of a darker red color, and ornamented with laconic drapes. The hue of her flesh is dark with minimal lighting.
The top of the frame of the icon is curved and supported by two pillars. The outline ornamentations extended from the frame reminds dentil bands and terminates by outlining a cross.
The inscription: Mη [τη] ρ-Θ [εο] υ), flanks the figure on the Virgin.
The iconographic and stylistic type of the icon has close affiliation with the icon representations of the Lombardos and the Pantocrator monastery. On the basis of its stylistic characteristics the icon can be dated to the 17th century.