- St.Dionisios and the murderer of his brother
- Item ID : 60
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Zakinthos and Strofadon
- Year : Late 17nth century
- Owner : Αποστολική Διακονία
- Τechnique : egg tempera
- Materials : wood
- Dimension : 72Χ129 cm
- Description : The scene presented in the icon illustrates the episode between St.Dionisios and the murderer of his brother. The panel can be intuitively divided in two zones. To the right side of the icon, St.Dionisios is depicted in the middle of a small group of people. His hands are crossed in front of his chest in a gesture of surprise as he is being informed about the murder. The scene unfolds in a dark background stressing out the tragic news. The strong narrative character of the icon is attested also by the posture of the people the saint is surrounded.
At the left side of the icon a secondary scene is illustrated. The almost miniaturist representation of the regretting murderer that is appearing kneeling in front of the saint seeking mercy is depicted at the left. The scene is completed by a finely rendered boat depicted ashore waiting the murder to embark.