- The Adoration of the shepherds
- Item ID : 50
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Zakinthos and Strofadon
- Year : Late 18nth century
- Τechnique : oil on canvas
- Materials : canvas
- Dimension : 86 x 64
- Description : The scene unfolds in front of a thatched wooden hovel and on the right side of the painting. A ruined building with marble columns symbolize the decay of the old order is depicted in the upper left corner. The Holy family is surrounded by several shepherds adorning the event. Virgin Mary is tenderly embracing the newborn Christ which is superimposed a bright while cover. On the background a host of joyful angels are depicted hovering the heaven.
The western affiliations can be clearly revealed in the composition. Close relation to the great artist Rembrandts figurative scheme is obvious especially in the rendering of the old shepherd figure painting in the foreground. A reference to the work of Domenikos Theotokopoulos is revealed in the manner the various angelic orders are depicted.