- The monastery of the Holy Trinity - Drakotrypa
- Item ID : 435
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Thessaliotidos and Fanariofersalon
- Category : Monastery
- Year : c. 1734 AD
- Current Place : Tympano-Sklatena
- Description : At an altitude of 800 meters in the Drum is built the monastery of Agia Triada Sklatainas, (Sklataina is the old name of the nearby village called today Drakotrypa The village is called Drakotrypa, because in the outskirts of the village below the monastery is a large cave (hole) and believed that there was dragon living there. The church follows the Byzantine architecture of Mount Athos, without chapels, it is three-aisled with a dome resting on four columns.
The arches of the roof are supported by one of two the piers that are in the sanctuary and the other on the wall connecting the narthex to the nave. The narthex communicates with the nave with two entrances, one in the middle aisle and another on the right. Also from the west entrance, which is the main entrance to the temple, there is another entrance on the south wall of the narthex.
The sanctuary is tri-conch.
The temple is maintained in excellent condition and the hagiographies is a work of of the folk icono-grapher Theodoro Ouria made in 1758, as shown in the inscription.
The temple is carved and inlaid. It is a work of excellent art and is extended to the three aisles of the nave and over the beautiful gate which the letters ΑΨΜΑ (1741).
The first series some plain marble slabs (turrets) without decoration. In the third row above the architrave small icons of the: “Great Supplication,” and the “Twelve Feasts”, are located in two rows.
In the vestibule, in the front row, images of saints are depicted, in the second row several figures of various saints in bust form and the third and fourth images from the Old and New Testament (Passion of Christ) and martyrdoms of various saints are represented.
Several inscriptions in majescule letters decorates various places inside the nave.
The village is called Drakotrypa, because out of the village below the monastery is a large cave (hole) and believed that there was dragon living there.