- THE MONASTERY OF THE SAINT ANARGYROI
- Item ID : 370
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Argolida
- Type : Monastery
- Year : 12th AD
- Current Place : Porto Kapari
- Description : A document revels that the monastery was founded in the 11th c. but a document by the Monochartzis finally reveals that it was build in 1340 by Ioannis Katakouzinos. The first written information though is given much later (1696) than the date that it was constructed.
Although the monastery was built in 1340 by John F Katakouzinos , the first comprehensive information , as the Abbot as he signs his note to the Venetian authorities , which speaks for 21 monks.
This was confirmed little later ( 1720 ) when a signet of the Patriarch Jeremiah Gananeose that the monastery has a stavropigiaki value. The big number of monks, the size of the buildings and the remarkable property, shows that the monastery was probably founded long before the Venitian census was drafted.
There is a presumption that the Saint Anargyroi were dependant of the Monastery of Great Lavra on Mount Athos.
The Abbot Gregory Martzelos 1829 leadership the the monastery became very famous for his charity work . Under a decree issued by Otto, the monastery was dissolved in 1834, but however thanks to the inhabitants persistence, the Holy Council change its initial decision.
In 1851the monastery joined the monastery of Prophet Elias Hydra .
In 1864 the monastery was declared and independent again .
The social offering of the monastery stamped with the assistance provided to Cretan refugees of 1866 , and the donations of the monastery for the construction of the National Library the same period .
At the end of the Second World War , the monastery was converted into a female .
The entrance on the north side of the wall leads to a second gate , which is the main door of the monastery . On its embedded marble slab engraved with cross and undated inscription, testifies to the old stavropegic value.
Vaulted passage leads to the courtyard , around which are built two-storey buildings . In the South-east rises from the tallest building, in the form of the tower , while the ground floor of the west side houses the " Karamaneios library ."
On the east side of the atrium is the catholicon which set up three united churches , below the ground.
Inscription on the bell indicate a hecta-lobe bell-tower constructed in 1954, as well as the renovation of the church.
On the same wall are incorporated , an old engraving embossed with birds drinking water and members of an ancient building , which shows the connection of one of the ancient temples with Hermione .
A previous three cross-shaped temples seems to be the north , which has been dedicated to the Saint Anargyroi, later added the middle nave , which commemorates the Assumption and the south thatis Genesis, is dedicated to John the Baptist .
Inside , the walls of the ledger have been painted with frescoes of the 17th century.
Over the wooden screen, made of walnut wood, bears icons fromtheh17nth and 18th centrury as well as a curved inscription that reveals one of the oldest sources of its foundation: "1711 June 10th.”