- The Lamentation of Virgin Mary
- Item ID : 295
- Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Ydra, Spetses and Egina
- Type : Icon
- Year : Second- half of the 18c. AD.
- Place : Idra
- Τechnique : Egg tempera on wood
- Dimension : 63,5 x 49 εκ
- Current Place : Saint Athanasios church, Gourmadas
- Description : On a plain gold background, the Virgin is depicted seated on her knees. He position is in a three quarters nod to the Crucified who holds with both hands.
The Virgin wears a red chiton (inner garment) and a dark blue maphorion with western type influence. Her maphorion which is buttoned below the, neck is adorned with rich embroidery, fringing with the three traditional motifs of the gold stars on the front and shoulders.
Under the maphorion, a transparent reticulum falls symmetrically around the youthful her face.
On the cross Christ, is presented naked, only with banded skirt, shown dead with closed eyes. In the speckled halo of the Virgin spread helical strands, while in the Christ‘s halo, written in red majuscules the inscription: « Ο ΩΝ» (The One Who Is), can be written.