Collection Name : Holy Metropolis of Mesogaia and Laureotiki
Year : 13nth century A.D.
Place : Markopoulo
Description : The church of the “Virgin of Varamba,” is a masterpiece of the Byzantine architecture of the 13nth century. It is built in the traditional cross-in-square type with a dome. Plain in the ornamentation with rectilinear dentil cornice, the church impress the visitor with its simplicity. The church lies north of the town of Markopoulo, in a sparsely inhabited area. The name “Varamba” is a Latin one, revealing the Frankish influences among the region after the Crusades of 1204.