Holy Metropolis of Thessaliotidos and Fanariofersalon
The monastery of Rentina
c. 16th AD
In the municipality Rendina, in a wooded slope SE Pindus Mountains, in Karditsa - Karpenisi road and just five kilometers from the village lies the monastery of Rendina.
The monastery was built around 1550 AD, as we conclude from an unpunished firman from the Sultan Mahmud I of 1754, which we present below. Local tradition says was built in the ninth (Θ) century.
The monastery complex is a normal square, around which are the cells on three floors and sheds. Today only the cells of the eastern and western side, restored with oak sheds.
Among the cells of the west side, next to the nave is a tiled chapel with gilded iconostasis ,dedicated to the Holy Cross , which was mentioned by G. Economou .
Just below the chapel 's is vaulted crypt , where they hid their valuables . Here there are many ancient manuscripts completely worn out.
Right and left of the narthex are two chapels structure according to the Athonite type with temple. The church of the monastery is the entirely decorated according with the Cretan style in the rendition of the school of Agrafon. It is a work of the painter Ioannis ( 1662 ) .
But there are frescoes, that also testify Latin influence, like the representation of the Risen Lord , located in the left apse .
In the middle niche, the icon of “ Platytera,” sitting on the throne with Christ in her arms,following the usual display of divine operation .
Around the highest number of scenes despotic and Marian feasts ( Twelve-Feasts ).
Innovative and very realistic are the portraits of the two founders located in the northwest niche of the main nave.
Two Turkish men with full body costume and furry hat and a model of the temple holding it with their arms.
The mural has no inscription, but Professor A. Orlandos concludes that the inscription above the western entrance that connects the nave to narthex into a Turkish type context which refers to the owners.
The wall of the porch is decorated with animals and trees, signs and eschatology scenes accompanied with various ancient epigrams and documents suggesting the virtues of the monks.
A. The first painting is the scale that symbolizes the ascent of virtues, in accordance with relevant the teaching of John of the Ladder.
In the rendition of the icon , some monks while climbing are taken from the devils claws and thrown into the open mouth of the dragon, while those who reach their apex, are received the Lord and crowned by an angel.
B. In second painting, we see the time that tames everything, a theme taken from the ancient Greek art, in order to teach us the futility of the worldly and the usefulness of the weather, when utilized for spiritual rise.
Over the icon writes: "The Weather," below the icon is the epigram of Poseidippou in Byzantine majuscule.
C. A third presentation is the zodiac wheel, illustrating the of the futility of life.
Around the wheel, eight men are detained , of whom some are happy climbing rejoicing for their youthful pleasures, but sad they as they are descended, while the latter falls into an open grave.
D. Typical is the representation of the: "Assumption Ephraim the Syrian."
The centenarian Deacon Ephraim was an ascetic man, and is considered the greatest poet and luscious hymnographer of the Syrians.
The inscription above the entrance of the narthex to the nave it is dedicated to the Assumption, as mentioned by the inscription, and is celebrated on August 15.
However, since the monastery holds the skull of Saint Basil from Angyra, later took the name of the Saint and celebrates and om March the 22nd.
Mt. Leake called the monastery "Stavropigi" or monastery Rendina whis is certainly stavropegic (belongs to the Ecumenical Patriarchate). The main church the (Katholicon) of monastery is the most beautiful of all the region. Recently, the monastery became a female one.
During the years of Ottoman rule, the monastery flourished , it had 50 monks and many dependencies in the region of Rendina, Ypati Farsalon and many others, like: Smokovo , Domokos Katachloro etc.
Dependency existed also in Moscow, so It took the name " Russian .”
In later Greek history the monastery played an important role , because Rendina was the capital for 85 villages in the region of Agrafon and the monastery was the seat of the headquarters as we can learn from the Englishman traveler, Colonel Leake.
From certain murals and inscriptions it is concluded that the founder of the temple is the Russina man, named Stravoenoglou and the lord Fraggos .
The old church was renovated in 1579 and 1640 AD accordingly.