MUSEUM  EDITIONS   E-SHOP  TEXTS    BYZANTINE ICONS  BYZANTINE HYMNS
    
Collections Holy Metropolis of Argolida

Item ID: 351
Item Number: 26
Collection: Holy Metropolis of Argolida
Item Name: THE CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN PRODROMOS
Item Type: Temple
Item Rhythm:
Category:
Year: 13th AD
Place:
Owner:
Signs:
Technique:
Materials Used:
Dimensions:
Condition state:
Current position: Alea village


Description: The church of Saint Prodromos (the Baptist) is located in the village of Alea and is the oldest Christian monument in the mountainous area of Argolida.
A carving on marble the southern entrance testifies renovation in 1883. Increased and altered but the beauty of an old cruciform church with a dome on a renovation work done in 1912. Despite the alterations, the old dome, and the trilobe bell tower remained intact so as to remind us the centuries that carries.
Internally several paintings have been survived, is of excellent beauty, which some researchers, mainly due to the majuscules existing, date the icons c. 13th century.