MUSEUM  EDITIONS   E-SHOP  TEXTS    BYZANTINE ICONS  BYZANTINE HYMNS
    
Collections Holy Metropolis of Servion and Kozani

Item ID: 256
Item Number: 15
Collection: Holy Metropolis of Servion and Kozani
Item Name: THE BIRTH OF THE CHRIST
Item Type: Architrave icon
Item Rhythm:
Category:
Year: c.1806 AD
Place: Kozani
Owner:
Signs:
Technique: Egg tempera on wood
Materials Used:
Dimensions:
Condition state:
Current position:


Description: The icon depicts the Birth of Christ, and is rendered according to the iconographic stylization as it is described in the book of the hagiographer Dionysios from Fourna, inspired also from the Western stylization.
The lower portion of the composition is dominated by the snowy hemispherical cave attributed in a pinkish color and in front of the cave's black opening, the shaft of the synthesis, illustrated in the form of an infant crib bed, with the Holy Infant represented swaddled.
The kneeling on the grassy area right forms of Joseph and Mary left the frame, with their hands crossed on the chest are depicted addressing a Western-style of prayer.
Behind and above the manger one can see the heads of two animals,one of a donkey and one of an ox which, according to the texts, warmed with their breath the Holy Infant.
At the right end of the composition kneel two pastors, of which the first is leaned on a high stick and has pulled out of the red cap. The cave has taken the form of a hill, as growing up of trees. Behind the rendered hill are two scenes on a much smaller scale are displayed.
These are: the three magi on horseback on the right, who leads the star, lowered on top of the cave and, a shepherd with his herd left, who raises his hand scared, and for whom an Angel through clouds is addressing him.
The upper part of the composition occupies a semicircle of pink and red circles superimposed, from which emitted rays that reach up to star in the cave. It is symbolic presence God's, and responds to other projects of the same atelier, as the image of the Saints Anthony and Dionysios of Olympus or the icon of St. Solomoni and the icon on the Seven children in Kolindros village.
Clouds surround the lower semicircle while two large groups of angels, on a small scale, through clouds, holdings unrolled scroll with minuscule inscription in glory: “God” in the highest/ and on earth peace to mankind,”
Ingenuity in the representation of the back of then vigorous body of the shepherd at the bottom right shows that the artist, had in mind a specific model, or copper decorative pattern (anthivolo), who imitated.
The pictorial composition, proposed by Dionysios from Frourna, can be found several icons of Central Macedonia in around the 19th century. The stylistic similarities of the dated 1806 icons, and from the form of framing, one can attest it has been painted at the same time and from the same hagiographer.