MUSEUM  EDITIONS   E-SHOP  TEXTS    BYZANTINE ICONS  BYZANTINE HYMNS
    
Collections Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos

Item ID: 127
Item Number: 18
Collection: Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos
Item Name: Pilgrimage of the Church of saint Gerasimos of Trikala
Item Type:
Item Rhythm:
Category:
Year:
Place: Korinthos
Owner:
Signs:
Technique:
Materials Used:
Dimensions:
Condition state:
Current position:


Description: The chapel of Saint Gerasimos is a small one aisled basilica, constructed in the Byzantine layout.
The chapel reconstructed in 1954.
On the main door portal frame a mosaic replica depiction of the Saint Gerasimos icon exists. The original icon was painted by the famous iconographer Fotis Kontoglou.
On the East side of the chapel’s area there are open cells with a portico that are supported with colonettes.
The low marble sanctuary temple of the chapel is ornamented with motifs of exquisite beauty, while the icons that ornament the temple are works of the hagiographer Fotis Kontoglou.
Inside a plain room the icon of Saint Gerasimos is standing flanked by some other icons also. The icon according to the relevant inscription, it has been painted in 1820.