MUSEUM  EDITIONS   E-SHOP  TEXTS    BYZANTINE ICONS  BYZANTINE HYMNS
    
Collections Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos

Item ID: 124
Item Number: 15
Collection: Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos
Item Name: Saint George Zaxolis church
Item Type:
Item Rhythm:
Category:
Year:
Place: Korinthos
Owner:
Signs:
Technique:
Materials Used:
Dimensions:
Condition state:
Current position: Zacholi


Description: The church of Saint George is one of the most important historical monuments of the Archieratical district of Evrostinis.
It is also a rare sample in terms of Architectural design due to the fact that the church bears seventeen domes in both sides of its arched tiles rooftop.
The church is closely related with the Greek struggles for independency against the Ottoman rule.
It is built on the foundation of a previous structure that was built in 1696 according to the Venetian records.
Around the purlieus of the church, the grave and the marble bust of the Chief in command of the 1821 Revolution, Panagiotaki Gerari can be found.