MUSEUM  EDITIONS   E-SHOP  TEXTS    BYZANTINE ICONS  BYZANTINE HYMNS
    
Collections Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos

Item ID: 121
Item Number: 12
Collection: Holy Metropolis of Korinthos, Sikionos, Zemenos, Tarsos and Polifegos
Item Name: The church of the Glorius Taxiarches
Item Type:
Item Rhythm:
Category:
Year:
Place: Korinthos
Owner:
Signs:
Technique:
Materials Used:
Dimensions:
Condition state:
Current position: Assos


Description: The church was founded in 1823 the day before the celebration of the Saints name day.
It is single-aisled one without a dome and big in its dimensions.
The masonry follows the traditional cloisonne system a lobed central door with portal frames and two lobed windows on the side decorated also with stone frames on either of its sides.
The roof of the church is build completely out of tiles forming an arch.
The entrances of the church one in the South and the other on the West have a three-sided apse, with arched lintels.
It is the oldest church of the village and it is located at the place that the first cemetery was in operation up to 1912.